Ever wanted to escape for the day to an island paradise? At just over two hours away from London, the Isle of Wight might not be the first place that springs to mind, but it certainly offers you that opportunity. With its varied landscapes, expansive sea views and quiet, well-surfaced roads, the island is a top destination for cyclists who want something different.
Circumnavigating the island in one day makes for a unique experience on the bike. Expect plenty of hills as well as views of towering chalk cliffs, golden sandy beaches and stunning rural landscapes.
After picking you up in the Broomwagon at our agreed location, we will head to Portsmouth for our ferry to the Isle of Wight. A short crossing brings us into Fishbourne where we will disembark and start our tour of the island. The 65 mile route can be cycled both clockwise or anti-clockwise and will ultimately be decided depending on the direction of the wind that day. Either route gives you a wonderful behind-the-scenes look at the Island away from what you’d see as a tourist in a car so it won’t disappoint.
Tour highlights include:
- Riding along the beautiful Tennyson Heritage Coast
- Views of The Needles off the west coast of the island
- Bembridge Windmill (the Island’s only surviving windmill)
- Blackgang Chine, England’s oldest theme park (1843)
We will have two stops during the tour. Our lunch stop is at Piano Cafe, Freshwater. Once owned by Queen Victoria’s Piano tuner and supplier, the cafe serves delicious sandwiches, wraps, burgers and salads. Our other stop is at The Pearl Cafe near Brighstone, offering a selection of homemade cakes and cream teas and uninterrupted views of the English Channel.
On return to Fishbourne, we’ll jump on the ferry back to Portsmouth. Once back on the mainland, the Broomwagon will transport you back to our starting point.
The Isle of Wight is hilly so bring your climbing legs! Although a few short stretches of the route are on main roads, most of it is on charming, quiet country lanes which are well paved.
- Broomwagon pick up and drop off at an agreed location (within a 10 miles radius of Reading or en route to Portsmouth)
- Ferry crossings
- Guided cycle tour of the island with Mark
- Small groups (minimum of 4 and maximum 6 including your guide)
What’s not included
- Food and drinks at coffee and lunch stops
- Bike hire (can be arranged for an additional cost)
6am Broomwagon pick up at agreed location
9am Ferry crossing to Isle of Wight
5pm Ferry departs for Portsmouth
8pm Drop off at agreed location
Cost: £155 per person
Bike hire can be arranged at an additional £75 per person